Online Safety Tips: How to land safely on a legitimate website
There are cases where people falsely logon to a different website that appears as a legitimate one, and submit their personal details or initiate financial transactions. People fall prey to these cyber crimes and lost their money and other valuable information. Next time when you want to make any financial transactions or any important online activity that involves your secrecy, please keep these points in mind –
1. Please visit sites by typing the URL into your address bar.
2. Don’t open a website from an external link, usually found in phishing mails. Theses links are called Phishing links. You will be directed to click in email messages, on websites, or even in instant messages. Theses may contain all or part of a legitimate organization’s name and are usually masked, meaning that the link you see does not take you to that address but somewhere different, usually an illegitimate website.
3. Always check for https://
prefix in the address bar, before involved in a financial transaction. This assures you that the transmitted data will be encrypted.
4. Look for a "padlock" icon in the bottom-right side of your Internet browser or right-hand-side of your address bar, indicating that the website has a secure connection.
5. Always check the identity of a website, by inspecting its certificate, usually appears when you click on the “padlock”.
6. The digital certificates are issued by a trusted agency which informs you about the identity of the website. I will cover Digital Certificate in more details in my next blog.
This list is not exhaustive but will guide you to be safe online !!!
Keep watching this space for more tips on Internet Security
Do send your comments and suggestions.